Circadian Rhythms, Peptides & Biological Efficiency

• Circadian Rhythms, Peptides & Biological Efficiency

Circadian rhythms are used by your body to generate a roughly 24 hour cycle of biological processes. They are at the intersection where your external environment meets your internal physiology. Things such as light/darkness, temperature, activity and feeding/fasting times entrain your body to anticipate certain stimuli and prepare for it accordingly. You've learnt be be biologically efficient over your 3 billions years of evolution.

When you are younger these rhythms are robust and subsequently produce strong internal signalling. Yet as we age they become flattened and less pronounced. As a result signalling becomes weaker, less efficient and starts to fail.

Rhythms of life: circadian disruption and brain disorders across the lifespan - This is a great review giving insights into the detrimental effects of having a disrupted circadian system and why avoiding it is desirable.

From an anti-ageing perspective anything which can therefore restore an ageing hormonal profile or reestablish stronger circadian signalling is an incredibly useful tool. When it comes to regenerative processes sleep is the master. Understanding how Sleep in Normal Ageing can change and the processes involved quickly highlights the link between GH pulsation at night and slow wave sleep.

"Inhibition of growth hormone releasing hormone (GHRH) suppresses GH
    secretion, promotes corticotrophin releasing hormone, and reduces SWS. Further, there
    is an age-related decline in GH secretion. GH secretion reaches its peak during
    adolescence, rapidly declines in an exponential manner between young adulthood and
    middle age, and then declines slowly between middle to old age. This phenomenon is similar
    to the detected age-related decrease of SWS. The decline in nocturnal GH with aging may
    have a direct or indirect impact on SWS, and may be partially responsible for the observed
    reduction of SWS in aging"

This is why GHRP's are an invaluable tool and why Ipamorelin should probably be part of an established nighttime protocol.

There are no single magic bullets in biology, yet if you're aiming to increase your healthspan and there is a way to maintain the amount of SWS from middle age (or even prior to that) across a whole lifespan, Ipamorelin and restoring GH pulses should definitely be one of the bullets added to your magazine.

• Very interesting AdamZeus, I was wondering when you would bring some circadian rhythm knowledge and discussion to the party.

I know here you speak of the benefits for Ipamorelin and other GHRP's, specifically for anti-aging. Anecdotally, I have certainly experienced an improvement in the quality of my sleep when using these peptides, but do you know of any other peptides that may have a negative effect on circadian rhythm, say, Melanotan II? I have only ever used it in the morning as I think I remember TIC mentioning something. I'd love to hear more from you regarding circadian rhythms.

• @TimboSlice Hmmm, I can't say I've looked at that peptide specifically. Biological Rhythms in the Skin do have a circadian (as well as ultradian) component however.

Morning dosing could be a wise choice. During the day your skin is more resilient and better suited at contending with insults, UV light, ROS etc. At night, like many other processes is when it "heals" and repairs.

skin.jpg

Night time dosing could risk sleep disruption depending upon how well you tolerate it, which is obviously preferable to avoid. The skin is a complicated organ but Human epidermal stem cell function is regulated by circadian oscillations too.

You'd probably need to look at the alpha-Melanocyte-stimulating hormone profile to ascertain more....

"Serum cortisol concentrations (P < 0.01), but not plasma ACTH or α-melanocyte-stimulating hormone (α-MSH), showed a significant circadian periodicity in horses. An effect of season on hormone concentration was observed with plasma ACTH and α-MSH concentration greater in the fall and cortisol concentration greater in the spring"

Just dug that up from a study in horses. Maybe increased/decreased dosing seasonally might be a consideration? But at this point 🤷

• Mate, love the whole post. You not only confirmed what I'd been told, but enveloped me in knowledge 👍 And also created a few questions. firstly, what's the difference between ultradian? I'm already googling it but I thought I'd still ask for the benefit of the post, and of the forum for that matter.

I especially like the graphic. I was looking to understand what a 'barrier recovery' rate was and found this abstract trying to understand what it means - which I succeeded in doing, but it also showed me how very complicated it is!

I ask about the melanotan and it can give me a flushing effect and I prefer not to look that red-faced at work or around people because it can be quite pronounced! I may look into PT141 because I finally have a good hygienic sleep pattern and I want to keep it that way. Plus I don't want to turn really really brown like our friend 😬

I would love to hear your thoughts on sleep hygiene by the way.

• @TimboSlice Thanks man. Glad to be able to inform and simultaneously pique your curiosity. Sure thing...

So, whilst circadian are the near 24 hour rhythms, ultradian rhythms have a much shorter duration and occur within the circadian time structure. Numerous things like sleep cycles, GH pulsation, and heart rate would all be considered ultradian. If you wanted to know more this review is a great read and was what got me curious about biological rhythms a few years ago.

But yes, the skin is a deeply complicated organ. I always wish i knew more about it as there's so much going on. Makes me consider exploring transdermal administration a bit more too. Nice study by the way.

I can definitely compose something on sleep hygiene over the next few days. Probably warrants starting a fresh for that though?

Slightly in keeping with skin and tanning, you might want to look at Botanical Craft and red palm oil extract. It's got some interesting science behind it and might aid you in the summer months.

• Thank you so much for providing information about peptides and throwing light on such a crucial aspect of peptides.This is something which is actually very necessary to understand.Hence I always prefer Research Peptides for providing me information.